Cultural Differences in Concerning Time

May 24, 2018
TESOL 103
Lesson 5

The following lines you are about to read are my understanding about a lecture that a teacher at BYU-Idaho gave in class.

Some people think that relationships and family are more important than schedules and/or tasks and procedures; they prioritise family and human relationships instead of schedules, they do not believe that time is more sacred than men, those people are polychronic.

In the other hands, mono-chronic people believe that schedules, tasks, and procedures are more important than human relationships; for those people time is considered sacred. "American businesses have reputation for being cut off from employees morale and not worried about employees. Employees are just means to an end, not like members of the family." (Edward T. Hall)
Professor Ivers said that the schedule is like the holy scriptures for mono-chronic people.

As an EFL teacher I need to understand cultural differences in concerning time so that I treat my students well when it comes to a question of time. I will learn more about that subject so that I can feel comfortable dealing with my students.

Are you personal Mono or polychronic?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Difference in Manners

Response to “Is The Great American Teacher Dead?"